Can you smell the cinnamon? Do you get a whiff of cloves and oranges? Is that the allspice you sense lurking in the background? With a hint of brandy?
And wine. Sweet, warm, spiced wine.
This is my favorite part about the Holiday Season, and about the cold weather, and it just so happens it’s also my favorite thing to make for Thanksgiving.
The above shot was the *test batch* I made the other night – To make sure it was still as delicious as ever…. ;)
This post is in response to Ailsa’s Travel theme: Fragrant.
To 4 litres of red wine you need:
- Start with about 2 cups of sugar but add to taste (I’ve found the cheaper the wine the more sugar I need.)
- 6 – 8 Cinnamon sticks
- Whole cloves
- 2 Oranges
- Whole allspice
- 2 cups of orange juice
- A bit of brandy as well, a splash here and there (for a little kick)
- Pour the red wine into a large pot and put it on the stove on very low heat. The spices and flavors need to infuse slowly.
- I cut the oranges into slices and put about 4 cloves into each slice, then put them in with the wine.
- Break the cinnamon sticks in half or thirds and put them in with the wine.
- Put approximately 10 of the whole allspice into the pot.
- Add in the brandy and the 2 cups of orange juice.
- Add in 2 cups of sugar and stir.
- Stir on and off for about 30 mins. Taste. Add more sugar if needed. Add more brandy if needed.
- Let it simmer on low heat (do not let it boil) for an additional 30 minutes.
- Be happy and love everyone.
- Happy Season to All!